Friday, January 9, 2009

Not What I Expected to Hear

Last week I went to my dermatologist to have some moles removed and biopsied. No big deal, I have had it done before. My doctor called me yesterday to tell me the results: Melanoma. What? I have skin cancer? I can't believe it. I doesn't even sound real when I say it. When I hear the word cancer I think of old people and smokers. Not only do I have skin cancer, I have the most serious kind of skin cancer. If it progresses it will have to be treated with chemo and radiation. My doctor says I am lucky because we caught it very early, it is very small. I have to go back in Wednesday to have some more removed. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't find anymore.

Did I tell you I broke my tailbone on New Years Eve? I did. So far, 2009 gets a big, fat thumbs down!

(it isn't all bad. I got accepted to be a photographer for Operation: Love ReUnited. I am super excited about that!)

5 comments:

Lora said...

oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this, and I'm really glad you went when you did. My mom started getting melanomas when she was 30 or so, and she is still kicking, and not staying out of the sun or putting down the cigs, much to my dismay.

grrr.

oh, and the tailbone pain. I broke mine a few times in life and i'll never be the same back there. The last time I did it was when Jake was 6 months old or so. The pain is blinding. I'll be thinking about your ass for quite some time now.

And congrats on the gig!!

Tavia said...

i hope they don't find anymore. We all know scars looks super cool so it will only add to your appeal! love you!!

Heather-Anne said...

Geez girly, that blows. I am glad you caught it with the early checkup. Kudos to you! Good luck with it all, and keep us posted.

Erin W said...

Oh man I am so sorry!!!! Yuck, what a sucky way to start out the year. I hope they get it all. Good luck with everything and let me know if you need any help with anything!!!

mrsmommy said...

Well, we will have to something extra special to improve our 2009. We deserve a good year!