Saturday, August 16, 2008

Still A Bit Of An Outsider...

I have been living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland for about a year and a half. Before that I lived in Philly and before that I lived on the other side of the Bay Bridge in Maryland...more like the other side of the world. I have adjusted quite nicely to this life. We absolutely love it here and will probably never leave. I love that I can walk to everything, we have Thursdays in the Park and the Farmers Market every Wednesday. The kids that Kennedy goes to school with now will be the same kids that she graduates with. Everyone knows you here.

Tonight, I realized I am not a true Eastern Shorer yet. As we walked through the 4H Fair all I could think about was how bad the animal stench was and how the men running the rides creeped me out when they were a little too friendly with the girls. I had to keep a close eye on the ground to make sure no one stepped in the heaping piles of horse shit. My jeans were covered in dirt up to my knees and unfortunately I decided to wear flip flops. I saw tractors bigger than houses and people bigger than tractors. One guy stared a my chest so long I had to check to make sure a boob hadn't fallen out of my shirt. I am pretty sure all the dust I inhaled was not only from the dirt kicked up at the truck pull but also from all the farm animals and their droppings. WHY, at such a redneck carnival was there no liquor being served? Doesn't that kind of go hand and hand?

As i watched my girls squeal in delight on the rides and get so excited to watch the rodeo I knew that this place would become a yearly ritual for us. This is where they will be raised and I must admit, I am smitten with this little town.

Next year, i will certainly have a flask stashed in my purse!

2 comments:

Tavia said...

Glad you guys had fun. We are all hicks deep down, we just have to face it.

Lora said...

as if that is your baby. Every single one of your babies is gorgeous (and you know I don't say that just to be nice!) and that baby was WEEEIIIRRRDDD